A05 — Line and Petal
One-Day Class, Sunday, July 26
Design, Lettering, Painting
A wonderful exploration of watercolor stroke and pen stroke, this one day class will showcase a simple floral brush technique in combination with free form pen-drawn flourishes. A study of the flexible pointed pen nib and how to achieve smooth, beautiful flourishes will begin the day, to be followed by experimenting with expressive brushwork.
Putting the two together creates a lovely solo illustration, or the work can be combined beautifully with lettering.
- Oblique pen holder
- Your favorite pointed pen nibs, such as Hunt 22, 56 or Gillott 303 or 404, the G Nib, Zebra nib or Leonardt Principal
- #2 pencils
- A good quality layout bond paper, such as 9″ x 12″ Canson Pro layout marker
- A sheet or two of black or a dark shade of Canford pastel paper
- A sheet or two of Arches 90 lb hot press watercolor paper
- Moon Palace sumi ink and a bottle of a waterproof black ink like FW
- Your favorite white medium, such as Dr. Martin’s bleedproof white or McCaffrey’s Ivory
- Miracle Wedge watercolor brush size 8 and small round watercolor brush
- Several tubes of watercolor
- Several small old paintbrushes for loading paint
- Watercolor palette
- Mixing tray
- A water jar
has been a professional calligrapher for 29 years, and currently holds the position of Chief Calligrapher at The White House in Washington, DC. Her work has been published in Letter Arts Review, The Calligrapher’s Engagement Calendar,Scripsit, Martha Stewart Weddings,
and Tabellae Insatae.
Sharing and teaching what she loves is a high priority, and she teaches at the Loudoun Academy of the Arts in Virginia, and has been on the faculty of several International calligraphy conferences. Pat has served two years as President of the Washington Calligrapher’s Guild, been Chairperson of The Graceful Envelope Contest, and has been Co-Director of Letterforum, the 26th International Calligraphy Conference. Pat’s love of pointed pen lettering led her to her study of copperplate and spencerian letterforms. The International Association of Master Penmen, Engrossers, and Teachers of Handwriting recently awarded her the honor “Master Penman” for her work in this area.
Go to Pat Blair’s Four-Day Class
Go to Next One-Day Class